- In Action
- Knowledge & Resources
- About Us
- News & Events
- Members / Associates
Richard Johnson is a marine biologist with a higher degree in radiation and environmental protection. Having worked as an environmental consultant with both a small, independent and subsequently a large international company, Richard joined ITOPF in 1994. His ITOPF career has seen him progress through all technical positions becoming Technical Director in 2009.
Richard has attended on site at scores of spill events, playing significant roles in major oil tanker incidents such as SEA EMPRESS (UK), NAKHODKA (Japan), ERIKA (France), NATUNA SEA (Singapore/Malaysia), PRESTIGE (Spain) and HEBEI SPIRIT (South Korea). He has also attended numerous non-tank vessel spills and has attended spills in the US such as NEW CARISSA, Oregon and BOUCHARD BARGE B120 in Buzzards Bay. Since joining ITOPF he has been involved with, or anchored colleagues from London, or helped to coordinate ITOPF's involvement, in more than 500 incidents. He has travelled to more than eighty countries
Richard has provided claims analysis and damage assessment advice on numerous cases to a range of different entities including government, P&I Clubs and the IOPC Funds. He also participated in intergovernmental meetings such as at IMO and has been involved in numerous advisory projects and contingency plan reviews. He has delivered keynote opening, and closing plenary presentations at a number major international conferences as well as providing papers, chairing or giving input to workshops, seminars and training courses at regional, national and local level courses, both for government and industry
As Technical Director, Richard provides strategic oversight of the full range of technical services offered by ITOPF and is the focal point for the delivery of these services. As well as overseeing the Americas, Africa, Europe, & Middle East and the Asia Pacific Technical Teams, Richard actively contributes to the risk management and knowledge management internal working groups. He is also the Chairman of the ITOPF R&D Award Committee.
- 24/09/2014 - Raising Awareness in India
- 31/03/2015 - ITOPF Attends INTERSPILL 2015
- 08/05/2015 - Singapore Shipping Week
- 01/09/2015 - Transpetro/ITOPF Seminar, Rio de Janeiro, August 2015
- 10/12/2015 - ITOPF in Greece
- 02/02/2016 - ITOPF presents at PAJ oil spill symposium 2016
- 25/05/2016 - ITOPF supports the Adriatic spill conference
- 31/05/2016 - ITOPF Seminar at North of England P&I Club
- 27/09/2016 - ITOPF seminar at GARD, Arendal, September 2016
- 14/10/2016 - ITOPF attends Gard Charterers and Traders Seminar
- 09/02/2017 - PAJ 2017 Oil Spill Response Workshop
- 03/05/2017 - ITOPF attends Singapore Maritime Week
- 23/05/2017 - ITOPF attends IOSC 2017
- 28/11/2017 - ITOPF attends 'Marine insurance in Russia 2017'
- 11/12/2017 - ITOPF attends conference in South Korea